Rss Feed Tweeter button Facebook button Flickr button

Jan 13 2010

Banana Walnut Bread… from Starbucks?

Published by at 10:13 pm under Cooking at Home,Desserts

Yes, as random as it sounds, I made Banana Walnut Bread from a recipe card that was provided at a local Starbucks that I went to a few months ago. I thought it was interesting that they were sharing their recipes to their customers. Here’s what they wrote on the recipe card:

Hi,

We’re making a change by using simpler recipes and taking out artificial ingredients. So your food not only tastes better, it is better. It’s a start, and we think it’s a good one.

We hope you’ll try this recipe at home. It’s just one of the delicious new treats you can enjoy when you visit us.

Your Friends at Starbucks

So, I gave in and made the recipe…. because afterall, I am a fan of Banana Walnut Bread. What I’m not a fan of is coffee, so it’s rather ironic that I was even inside this Starbucks. But thanks for this awesome recipe, Starbucks! I’m definitely going to make this again.

Like the name, banana and walnuts must be incorporated into the recipe, or else it won't be Banana Walnut, right? You will need 3 ripe medium bananas and a little more than 1/2 cup of walnuts.

Somehow, somewhere, we had some whole walnuts in its shell in our cupboard. We didn't have 1/2 cup, so we cracked all the ones we had to add to the batter. I still have no idea how we got these walnuts!

In a bowl, add 2 cups of flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt. In another bowl, mix together 1 egg, 1 cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.

Next, add the flour mixture to the egg batter and mix together. Then, add 2 tbsp buttermilk, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and the 3 mashed bananas and mix until well combined. Finally, fold in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.

Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan and dust with flour. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with 1/3 cup chopped walnuts. Bake for 60 minutes at 325-degrees, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This is how the loaf of bread should look when it's done. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.

I was pleasantly surprised that this recipe was moist and not overly sweet. Even after a few days, the Banana Walnut bread is still soft and tasty. What I liked about this baking experience is that I didn't have to whip out the huge Kitchen Aid mixer! Everything can be done by hand, so it's less mess and very simple. Definitely worth making when you have a few ripe bananas on hand that you want to get rid of!

To view or print-out this recipe, click here: Banana Walnut Bread from Starbucks

50 responses so far

50 Responses to “Banana Walnut Bread… from Starbucks?”

1. Annaon 14 Jan 2010 at 7:10 am

I love banana bread, and this looks perfect, moist and with some crunch from the nuts.

2. Favyon 14 Jan 2010 at 7:11 am

Wow! Pretty impresive, i will try it over the weekend…Just looking at the picture makes me hungry :)

3. dokuzuncubuluton 14 Jan 2010 at 7:23 am

Wow… I like it.

4. wasabi primeon 14 Jan 2010 at 8:00 am

Beautiful! I would think using a recipe from a well-known business is a surefire way to get a great recipe. They wouldn’t put out a product that they couldn’t stand 100% behind. This bread looks heavenly. Haven’t had banana bread with yummy walnuts in ages — a reminder that it’s definitely been too long!! :)

5. Carol Egberton 14 Jan 2010 at 8:55 am

I’m impressed that you had buttermilk. Walnuts wait around, buttermilk gets funky.

Thanks for featuring a great standard.

6. Chef Eon 14 Jan 2010 at 9:10 am

I love cooking with buttermilk. Not a fan of drinking it though :) I love bananas and walnuts, so I know this will go over well in my house!

7. thefoodaddictson 14 Jan 2010 at 9:51 am

Here’s a tip I forgot to mention on the post: if you don’t have buttermilk, you can very well use half-and-half. It doesn’t seem to drastically make a difference to the banana walnut bread. We used half-and-half since we didn’t have buttermilk, and it was still yummy.

8. sweetlifeon 14 Jan 2010 at 10:20 am

Looks great, great sunday treat!!

9. Vegetable Matteron 14 Jan 2010 at 10:36 am

I haven’t been to Starbucks in a long time, so I missed the recipe card handout. This looks like a real winner — great job! When I was pregnant with my older son, I was addicted to their toffee bars. No wonder I gained 50 pounds during the pregnancy. He’s nine, and I haven’t had one since. If you see a recipe card for their bars, though, grab me one. I’d love to try making some for old time’s sake. Cheers! Robin

10. sophiaon 14 Jan 2010 at 12:07 pm

I use milk with vinegar in it to sub for buttermilk. :-)

I have never tried this bread in Starbucks, but now I have the recipe for it! Your pictures are stunning, and I’d love to try this!

11. thefoodaddictson 14 Jan 2010 at 12:21 pm

Vegetable Matter – if I see the toffee bar recipe at Starbucks, I will definitely grab it for you.

Sophia – thanks for the tip on the substitution for buttermilk! That’s always good to know because it sucks to buy a whole carton of buttermilk for a measly 2 tbsp in the recipe!

12. kathyvegason 14 Jan 2010 at 1:04 pm

Stunning photography…very well done!

13. Marion 14 Jan 2010 at 1:06 pm

Hi Foodie Addicts, this is very much like my banana cupcakes……it looks delicious! I am happy to visit you.

14. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Laura West, Phillip J Rhoades, Judith Allison, The Food Addicts, topsy_top20k and others. topsy_top20k said: The Food Addicts Presents!: Banana Walnut Bread… from Starbucks? http://thefoodaddicts.com/banana-walnut-bread-from-starbucks/ [...]

15. Sookon 14 Jan 2010 at 2:56 pm

Just the way I like it! Add lots of walnuts! :) Looks fab!

16. April Cavinon 14 Jan 2010 at 6:09 pm

Are they giving away their pumpkin bread recipe? I’m a fan of the banana bread, but I am addicted to the pumpkin bread!!

17. noobcookon 14 Jan 2010 at 8:07 pm

what a healthy loaf of bread. love the banana and walnuts!

18. Peteron 14 Jan 2010 at 9:43 pm

Awesome, many thanks!!! =)

19. TasteHongKongon 14 Jan 2010 at 10:14 pm

Looks moist and beautiful, not to mention that it is simple to make. This recipe has to go into my archive though I only bake occasionlly.

20. uberVU - social commentson 14 Jan 2010 at 11:46 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by thefoodaddicts: The Food Addicts Presents!: Banana Walnut Bread… from Starbucks? http://thefoodaddicts.com/banana-walnut-bread-from-starbucks/...

21. Conor @ HoldtheBeefon 15 Jan 2010 at 2:14 am

Yum. You just need to make some coffee, play some muzak and have annoying strangers sitting nearby in your living room and you need never go to Starbucks again!

22. Simply Lifeon 15 Jan 2010 at 5:47 am

Wow this looks delicious and you should let Starbucks know you’re now tempting people to try this! :)

23. Natasha - 5 Star Foodieon 15 Jan 2010 at 9:02 am

Sounds like a terrific banana bread! I may have some extra bananas this weekend and would love to make it!

24. Sandyon 15 Jan 2010 at 3:14 pm

I really like the banana walnut bread in the pastry section at Starbucks. Did yours come out tasting the same as the one at Starbucks?

25. Simon Food Favouriteson 15 Jan 2010 at 3:33 pm

i’ve been keeping my eye out for a cake recipe i want to try this year and i think i’ve found it. sounds easy enough for me and i love bananas. i’ll me keep a note of this one. thanks so much for the inspiration :-)

26. Caveman Cookingon 16 Jan 2010 at 12:22 am

This looks like the best B-nut bread I’ve ever seen. If it tastes half as good as it looks, it will be the best I’ve ever tasted, too!

27. cassieon 16 Jan 2010 at 5:16 pm

Oh YES! I love their banana bread! I can’t wait to make it! Thanks for sharing!

28. tigerfishon 16 Jan 2010 at 9:15 pm

It looks very easy from the photo instructions.

29. [...] also baked some banana bread. I finally found a recipe from The Food Addicts, that was really good and was not too dense. I also added some chocolate chip in the last 20 mins [...]

30. Barbaraon 07 Sep 2010 at 4:52 pm

My son hinted that I make him a Banana Walnut Loaf for his birthday which is tomorrow. I’m sure he’s going to love it. Thank you so much.

31. Florida Sunshineon 19 Sep 2010 at 12:47 pm

This recipe is excellent! It really does taste just like starbucks’s banana walnut bread!

32. Melindaon 20 Dec 2010 at 2:59 pm

Ok…so i just had to mention I and my 2 yr old son are addicted to the bread at Starbucks!! But this is the 3rd recipe I looked at that claimed it came from Starbucks….they are all different recipes by at least 1 ingredient. Whats going on??

33. Jackieon 17 Jan 2011 at 10:43 am

Thanks for sharing; I never would have found this at Starbuck’s myself. Simple and perfect, made it this afternoon : )

34. Jackieon 17 Jan 2011 at 10:44 am

PS: Great job with the photos!
    .-= Jackie´s last blog ..In Which we Consider the Bull Quandry… =-.

35. thefoodaddictson 17 Jan 2011 at 11:01 pm

Hi Jackie! Thank you for leaving a comment letting us know it turned out great! We haven’t made this yummy bread since we posted this last year, so it looks like we may have to revisit this recipe soon!

36. Jo Cruzon 09 May 2011 at 7:14 am

Sounds delish and looks even more delish! I am going to make it tomorrow for my eight year old girl. She loves the banana walnut muffin they’ve had there. Thanks!

37. Georgia Sevignyon 17 Jun 2011 at 12:46 pm

Well it’s in the oven as we speak. It was a simple quick fix. Let’s hope it tastes yummy!!

38. Michaelaon 07 Jul 2011 at 7:38 am

This recipe is fantastic! Thanks so much for posting it!

I’ve made this bread 3 times this past weekend alone, my family and friends love it so much (lol) though, I did make a few changes. I didn’t have any buttermilk, so I used the 2% milk that was in my fridge, and instead of regular flour, I used whole wheat flour to make it a little bit healthier. The whole wheat tastes just as good as when I made the bread with regular! I’m really impressed!

39. Madisonon 27 Aug 2011 at 4:39 pm

Just made this and its delicioius!! I wish I would have left in the the oven a little longer but I was so excited to try it haha thank you for posting this!

40. Phoebeon 17 Oct 2011 at 2:31 pm

I followed every step exactly but myixture is too dry. What happened??

41. thefoodaddictson 19 Oct 2011 at 12:57 pm

Phoebe,

We aren’t sure what you did differently. This receipt has been done many times already. Please re-check your steps and ensure you follow the receipt exactly.
    Thanks,

The Food Addicts

42. Paulineon 02 Nov 2011 at 8:40 pm

I made this but with 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup dark brown sugar and 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup bisquick….so everything was healthy except for the bisquick….but I heard from a friend that the bisquick gives it extra flavor/texture…and it worked!! Thanks for the recipe!

43. Jessicaon 08 Dec 2011 at 7:30 am

I loved this bread. I did add a half of tsp. of pumpkin spice with mine. If gave it more of that fall taste I was looking for.

44. brendaon 29 Dec 2011 at 5:24 pm

The top of it got burnt. Thanks a lot.

45. Julianneon 12 Mar 2012 at 12:42 pm

Hi there,
    just so you know, you can use whole wheat flour for atleast half if not more, throw in the flax seed. I use another recipe that makes 2-3 loaves and it calls for 4 eggs, and I substitute flax seed for one egg, one tablespoon of flaxseed, to three tablespoons water and let sit for a few minutes. I also only half a cup sugar at most and put 3-4 bananas /loaf (bananas are naturally sweet.

46. Lexieon 06 May 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hi, I dont know why i use 1 egg it was too dry and so stick, after that i have to add 1 more egg. I don’t know what problem is. :(

47. Ramyaon 27 May 2012 at 10:36 am

Hi
    I baked this bread and it turned out awesome.Ive blogged about it too..Thanx for the recipe.
    Ramya´s last [type] ..Starbucks Banana Bread

48. Jenniferon 26 Jun 2012 at 11:32 am

For some reason, my bread took longer than 60 minutes. I baked it at 325 and had to let it bake for an additional 20 minutes or so before the toothpick was clean. I’ll try it again soon. Love the simpleness of the recipe!

49. Swapnaon 23 Sep 2012 at 2:48 pm

Hi, I just want to know which flour u used. is it wheat flour or all purpose flour ?

50. Lisaon 09 Jan 2013 at 11:50 pm

I made this with bread flour and it wasn’t bad but does not taste like the Starbucks recipe. I find the starbucks bread to be sweeter. I might add brown sugar next time.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS