Rss Feed Tweeter button Facebook button Flickr button

May 10 2011

Purple and Green Kale Chips

Published by at 9:42 pm under appetizers,Gardening

We love to incorporate what we grow in our garden to our kitchen adventures – and kale just happens to be one of those ingredients that grew so abundantly throughout the winter and spring season. Last year, we also grew kale and shared a recipe, Toscana Soup, which many of you enjoyed making yourselves, so thank you for trying it out! Kale is one of those very hearty green vegetables that most people don’t prefer to eat due to it’s rough exterior, but once you cook it down or crisp it up, you’ll be  amazed at how great it tastes and how beneficial it is for you with it’s high antioxidant properties. If you are one of those people who haven’t experimented with cooking kale, then here’s a chance for you to try something simple, easy, and addicting to eat – baked kale chips.

We weren't kidding when we said we yielded a lot of kale in our garden! Almost looks like a forest. That's Daniel busy cutting some kale for me. We also cut a bunch and gave away to family and friends. There's more if anyone wants some!

We grew a mix of purple and green kale so we used both to make the kale chips. You can't really taste the difference between the two, but it's nice to have variety.

The stem has to be removed because it's really tough to eat, so I just sliced the leaves down the middle, then into smaller bite-sized pieces.

Make sure you thoroughly wash and rinse the kale leaves. Since we grow everything organic, there are some bugs that like to hang out under the leaves, so I make sure they are gone! The kale leaves need to be dry before it's seasoned, so I like to put it into my salad spinner to spin all of the excess water out. (One of my favorite kitchen tools!)

Scatter the kale leaves onto a lined baking sheet (either with foil or parchment paper), and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar. Then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. It goes into the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes until you see it shrink and getting crispy.

This method to make kale chips is commonly used but be creative and use different seasonings to give it more flavor. I've also tried adding paprika, garlic powder, and apple cider vinegar before baking. As you can see, I have made this a lot at home, and I wanted to experiment with various seasonings. For this post, we wanted to add something special for the kale chips, and that's herbed butter for dipping. For those who are picky eaters, you know butter may change their minds! The results of your kale chip should be extra crispy and light - almost like it's melting in your mouth. Beware: they are highly addicting to snack on, but who cares, it's good for you!

To view or print-out this recipe, click here: Purple and Green Kale Chips

14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Purple and Green Kale Chips”

1. Savoriqueon 11 May 2011 at 12:20 am

Kale is one of the healthiest leafy vegetables, along with swiss green chard. My favorite sauce for dipping is pesto, ultra simple to make and oh so healthy.
    I think the choice of the sauce is important as not everybody likes the taste of these green leafy veggies.

2. torviewtorontoon 11 May 2011 at 8:58 am

delicious colourful chips

3. Cathon 11 May 2011 at 8:59 am

Just planted kale for the first time. Appreciate kale recipes. Tried this last year with collards; best when fresh from the oven. Didn’t think of the vinegar, though. Have to try that.

4. Anncooon 11 May 2011 at 10:06 am

I love kale too and just wonder whether I can plant kale under hot weather.
    Anncoo´s last [type] ..Salmon Fried Rice

5. Quyen - Kitchen Runwayon 12 May 2011 at 10:04 pm

Your garden blows me away! It’s just so amazing to me that you grew that, watered and nutured it and then can cook it! It’s so awesome! I need a green thumb!
    Quyen – Kitchen Runway´s last [type] ..Taylor Thursday

6. thefoodaddictson 13 May 2011 at 6:55 am

Anncoo – Kale is a winter vegetable, and it grows best during that season. We noticed that now that it’s getting warmer, our Kale is starting to get less vibrant. We need to harvest all of it before it gets too old. You also won’t see Kale at the nursery during the spring/summer season to purchase.

Aww thanks Quyen! Just let us know if you ever need help, tip, or advice if you plan to grow your own garden. I suggest starting with herbs, because it’s easy and you can use it all the time in your daily cooking!

7. GiGion 14 May 2011 at 5:46 pm

The only problem with KALE chips is that I eat them FAR too quickly for how long they have to bake! ha ha ha.

8. Foodafokon 17 May 2011 at 5:57 am

Good! Interesting. Healthy!
    Foodafok´s last [type] ..Csalánkrémleves

9. Majaon 19 Jun 2011 at 3:30 am

Hello there,
    kale is a very popular winter dish in the region of Germany where I live. It is washed and hacked to small bits, cooked with chopped onions, mustard and boullion to a hearty stew. There is a special type of kale-sausage cooked with it, along with salted smoked pork and smoked hog jowls (if that’s the right word). We serve it with with extra small cooked and fried potatoes, sprinkled with sugar. That kind of “broken sweet” cooking is very popular in the North of Germany. This dish is so popular, it’s even a cult ;-) Cheers!

10. Petraon 26 Sep 2011 at 4:50 am

I really like posts like this. Good work!

11. Jennyon 12 Oct 2011 at 12:47 am

Great for me that I found your Blog… I just started with my own Blog, can I reference to this post? I want to write something on similiar topic!
    Jenny´s last [type] ..Couple of Important Blogging Tips

12. vincenton 27 Oct 2011 at 11:45 am

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

petitchef.com

13. margorieon 05 Dec 2011 at 4:45 pm

Those look very tasty and healthy. Its great to have snack foods lying around that you don’t feel guilty about eating ;)

14. Red Kaleon 06 Jul 2012 at 9:53 am