Rss Feed Tweeter button Facebook button Flickr button

Dec 09 2010

Stir Fried Rice Cakes with Rib-Eye (Chao Nian Gao)

Published by at 10:24 pm under Cooking at Home,Recipes

When it comes to weekday meals, we love to make something simple, quick, and tasty – and definitely enough to eat the next day! One of my favorite go-to meals are stir-frys because it incorporates a lot of vegetables and usually a choice of meat. Typically we make a dish like this with rice noodles, similar to our past dishes like Pad See Ew or Pancit . But to change things up a bit this time around, we are using rice cakes, also known as rice ovalettes. Some other common terms are Shanghai rice cakes or Chao Nian Gao. A complete meal with carbs, veggies, and meat all combined together with soy sauce and oyster sauce is what we like to refer to as comfort food. And believe me, it’s comforting to know that you are not spending hours in the kitchen after a long day at work! Just heat up the wok or large pan and throw all the ingredients together for a fabulous Chinese stir-fry dinner without all the excessive oil and fat from the restaurant!

The rice cakes (ovalettes) come packaged either dry or fresh. The one we bought is fresh and vacuum-packed, so it lasts a really long time in the fridge. The texture of these rice cakes is known to be chewy and dense. It actually somewhat reminds me of the Italian gnocchi. It is most popular in stir-frys, but can also be eaten in soup.

Using our new glass bowl set, I arranged all of the ingredients so it's easy to see what is needed for this recipe: 2 lbs of rice cakes (soaked in water for about 30 minutes), 7 cups of sliced napa cabbage, 1 lb of sliced ribeye (marinated right before cooking in 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, and 1 tbsp garlic), 1/2 onion sliced, 1 cup shredded carrots, 2 tbsp green onion (for garnish), 1 tbsp minced ginger, and 1 tbsp minced garlic.

First, cook the rib-eye in some oil until almost cooked through. Remove from the pan so it doesn't overcook and set aside.

In a wok, cook the onions with the ginger and garlic until fragrant.

Next, add the napa cabbage and carrots and cook through for about 2-3 minutes.

Next, drain the rice cakes and add it to the wok and cook for about 3-5 minutes. The heat will soften the rice cakes.

Finally, add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1/4 cup oyster sauce, and 1 tbsp sesame oil. Toss the rib-eye in the wok and mix together. Taste and adjust for seasonings. We added some freshly cracked pepper.

Garnish with the green onion and looks like dinner is served! We like to have our dish of Stir Fried Rice Cakes with Rib-eye with hot green tea, just like at the Chinese restaurant. Substitute the rib-eye for any kind of meat you have, like chicken, pork, or shrimp. For the veggies, you can use bell peppers, broccoli, bok-choy, or any other favorable vegetable you prefer. It's a really basic and simple dish to prepare, and you'll have a blast working out your jaw because these rice cakes are a little tough and chewy, which makes the texture so much fun to enjoy! Have fun sprucing up the ingredients and let us know what worked for you. Hope you like our version!

To view or print-out this recipe, click here: Stir Fried Rice Cakes with Rib-Eye

19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Stir Fried Rice Cakes with Rib-Eye (Chao Nian Gao)”

1. Sandyon 09 Dec 2010 at 10:54 pm

Shanghai rice cakes are one of my favorite dishes at restaurants! I can’t wait to try this recipe next time! Thanks!

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Corque, The Food Addicts. The Food Addicts said: Stir Fried Rice Cakes with Rib-Eye (Chao Nian Gao) http://goo.gl/fb/XtHNt [...]

3. A Canadian Foodieon 09 Dec 2010 at 11:08 pm

I have never seen this kind of rice cake – and I will be looking now. This meal looks delicious and the flavour combination is one I would love.
    Valerie
    .-= A Canadian Foodie´s last blog ..“Twas the Four Weeks Before Christmas When all Through the House… =-.

4. Jaraon 10 Dec 2010 at 7:38 am

I’ve never encountered this kind of rice cake either but the completed dish looks very delicious and satisfying

5. tigerfishon 10 Dec 2010 at 8:06 am

I have tried to cook these rice cakes in soups and stir-fries before. My, that was like 3 years ago!!! I find them too starchy and dense for my liking. Or maybe I have not found a good-quality rice cake. Where did you get yours? ;p

6. Conor @ HoldtheBeefon 12 Dec 2010 at 5:24 am

Have not seen rice cakes before, but have no doubt they are there waiting for me to buy them at my local Asian supermarket! I am also a big fan of stir fries for a healthy, easy dinner :)
    .-= Conor @ HoldtheBeef´s last blog ..but our Princess is in another cake! =-.

7. Matthewon 12 Dec 2010 at 7:09 am

Looks great. Nice presentation. i can almost taste the dish by looking at the pictures :)

Matthew
    .-= Matthew´s last blog ..Terrorism and Tourism – Two Years After the Mumbai Attacks =-.

8. Chrison 12 Dec 2010 at 9:22 am

The plated picture is a work of art, from a culinary and photographic standpoint. Excellent work.
    .-= Chris´s last blog ..Fire Roasted Potatoes and Chilies =-.

9. thefoodaddictson 16 Dec 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hi tigerfish – we got our rice cakes at the Asian supermarket. If you find it, try to get the one that is vacuum packed because it lasts really long. I think most rice cakes are pretty dense and starchy. However, soaking it really helps. Have you tried to order this dish at the restaurant? That’s how it should taste.. if you still don’t like the texture, then it’s probably not for you. Good luck!

10. anhon 20 Dec 2010 at 6:21 am

You can get this type of rice cake at most Korean market. The fresh ones are so much better.

11. Chef Eon 01 Jan 2011 at 3:50 pm

Man Krissy am I going through your posts! Love them…how hard is it to contact that company so I can try the sauces and write about them?
    .-= Chef E´s last blog ..Butter Milk-Meyer Lemon Soaked and Fried Oysters =-.

12. Martinaon 01 Jan 2011 at 10:52 pm

I made this dish tonight for dinner. It was very easy to make and just as delicious as it looks on the picture. I’ll be making it again soon. Thanks for the great recipe.

13. thefoodaddictson 02 Jan 2011 at 8:20 pm

Chef E – I think you are talking about the other post regarding the sauce giveaway. I’ll email you about that directly!

Hi Martina – Thank you so much for trying out the recipe!! So glad it turned out great for you. We appreciate the kind comment!

14. Kung Food Pandaon 17 Jan 2011 at 10:24 am

That dish looks great. It’s one of my favorites!
    .-= Kung Food Panda´s last blog ..Saddle Peak Lodge – A Hidden Gem Calabasas =-.

15. Sandyon 17 Jan 2011 at 6:22 pm

I just made this dish tonight for dinner- It came out great! :) I used chili soy sauce instead of the regular one to give it a small kick.

16. thefoodaddictson 17 Jan 2011 at 10:59 pm

Kung Food Panda – Thanks, Danny! We don’t see it very often in Chinese restaurants, so might as well make it ourselves.

Sandy – Yay!! Good job… next time, take a picture so we can see how it turned out! Glad it tasted great, which is the most important thing! Happy eating!

17. Deanon 03 Apr 2011 at 5:56 pm

Thanks for the recipe! My mom is from Shanghai and I grew up eating this all the time. It was one of our comfort foods when we were kids. When I go home I still ask her to make it for me, LOL. It’s good to see more and more US restaurants serving nian gao.

FYI…my Chinese mom prefers the Korean brands, fresh if you can get it, they’re much better than the Chinese brands. If you can only find the really hard dry ones, you can parboil them in water for a bit until soft, then add it to the wok, then you’re not overcooking the meat and veggies to get the nian gao to soften. Even with the vacuum pack ones we either soak it in hot water or boil them until just barely soft before frying. But be careful, it’s easy to make them too mushy. Nothing makes a Shanghainese mother turn up her nose at restaurant nian gao as when they overcook it!

18. ellieNchloeMommyon 02 Jun 2011 at 6:58 pm

Just made this dish for my family and they loved it! Instead of meat, I added shitake mushroom because of my husband’s high cholesterol. YUMMY!! Thanks!

19. esperonsaon 27 Mar 2012 at 10:04 am

Delicious. I made this with leftover brisket and asparagus. I ask pinned it for later. I hate when I forget where I found a great recipe. Thanks!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS